Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Cornutopia of Delights and Memories

This post highlights a number of delights and memories from the past couple weeks and before - a walk in the present and down memory lane. The first delights are signs of Spring, a bit of Irish Step Dancing, and a couple scenes from a flower show followed by some scenes reflecting on my dad and his life.

 Some beautiful Johnny-Jump-Ups growing in our flowerbed

These were growing wild in a nearby park woodland.

These were in the same park along a creek where the sun shines warmly.

This past Sunday evening our church's youth group held a soup and silent auction fundraiser to go to a Youth Convention later this summer. In this particular picture, people donated enough money to see them dance. It was quite fun!

This is a scene from the Peter Becker Retirement Home Flower Show.
It is a combination of real & artificial flowers and art work.

 Much of this done by the residents of the retirement home
with sponsorship from local businesses.

Here we are singing a favorite hymn of Dad's called When There's Love at Home.
The first verse reads as follows:

There is beauty all around,
When there’s love at home;
There is joy in ev’ry sound,
When there’s love at home.
Peace and plenty here abide,
Smiling sweet on ev’ry side;
Time doth softly, sweetly glide,
When there’s love at home;
Love at home, love at home,
Time doth softly, sweetly glide,
When there’s love at home.
 
Here's Dad's eighth grade diploma. He only had eight years of schooling
but he kept up with us children who received much more schooling.

Here's part of a display that was set up to commemorate Dad's life.
Click on this photo to see it much enlarged.
 
This the planned burial site for Dad and Mom. Dad's body was cremated;
but the plan is that when Mom dies, she will be given a traditional burial
and Dad's urn will go in her casket.  The building behind the tombstone
was an old German schoolhouse in the 1800s.

11 comments:

  1. A wonderful and reminiscent post.
    Your captures of spring are lovely, your memory captures are heartwarming.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, I am sorry about your father. From the years of reading your post, I know how much you admired him and can only imagine how much you and your family will miss him. My thoughts are with you. Btw, th flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You covered a lot of territory here. I really like how it is strung together. From nature to church to family. It really makes sense. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post and the last one showing your parents’ farm were so interesting to me. I tried to imagine how it must have been growing up on this farm, but it is hard for me as I have never been on such a large farm – 6,000 chickens you said… I am sorry about your dad passing. I am pleased that you have a large family so you can give each other emotional support. I like the picture of the school house from the 1880s – and it is still standing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you have posted again, Tim, because I've been thinking about you. Thanks for sharing with us about your dad because it's part of the grieving AND healing process. We're all in this together, you know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, dawn. Spring represents life and I think it fits well that Dad passed on in the Spring. His life is not over; it is just beginning.

    Thanks, sage. Dad is and will be missed. Yet because of who he was, he lives on. I look forward to seeing my Dad again when it is my turn. But for now, my Dad would say live your life to the fullest where you are. I aim to do that. :)

    Thanks, wild bill. I'm glad my post communicated with you. Blessings!

    Thanks, vagabonde. Growing up on my parents' farm was wonderful! Lots of hard work but also lots of life-affirming play. It was a good place to begin to learn how to live life. Glad you enjoyed the photos.

    Thanks, ginnie. I appreciate your thoughts. And, yes, we are all in this together. The passing of loved ones leaves its aches; yet he was a wonderful example to me and I look forward to seeing him again one day. But till then, my memory of who my Dad was is an example I want to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is good having a place where to meet your parents. Now I have to take care of my grand-parents' graves and my aunts' ones too. Last time I went, I planted some small and low daisies and last autumn pansies.

    Ruth of the Bible said that wherever her husband would go she will go and wherever he would be buried she would be near him too..

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful post, Tim. It's clear your dad is still with you and probably with your children too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahh, I'm so sorry you lost your dad. {Hugs}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice and yes parents are dearly missed.
    I like the last one with the Rice over looking the schoolhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, cergie. It sounds like you know what it is to lose loved ones, too. And that you know and practice what real love is.

    Thanks, ted. My dad will always be with me in my heart.

    Thanks, paige. Your thoughts are appreciated.

    Thanks, sue anne. Our parents even though gone still play an important part in our lives and will be missed as you said.

    ReplyDelete